Friday, December 30, 2005

...and one for luck

Right. As the harsh winds of winter whip at our skin, tanning it with frost, our spirits should remain high, and our warmth should come from within. I say this because the few days leading up to christmas saw where I work awash with the misery of all the scrooges who think of christmas as a time to be a miserable cunt rather than be happy and enjoy it. I really don't need hordes of miserable people ruining my day. Is there any need to be so rude to us retail staff? Don't they think we are people too, or do they just not think. We don't make the rules. If we are out of stock is it our fault? No it bloody well isn't. The ammount of customers that felt the need to take out all their christmas blues on us was disheartening to say the least. I was still polite to all of them, more to be able to say that I did my job well than anything, but it really pissed me off. Retail staff have to be polite, and if you abuse them, more often than not, you will have made their day (even more) miserable. They can't show it, but why do it? I have to be happy and polite to hundreds of customers each week, thousands sometimes, especially around christmas. All the shoppers have to do is go into a few shops and say a few words. Would it really take that much effort to be polite?
So next time you're in a shop. Be nice to the people behind the counter, obviously provided they are doing their job and being polite to you. It doesn't take much.
Rant over. A happy(drunk!) new year to all of you, and happy shopping!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Doll said...

Joyous yuletide eh?!

Our fellow man is a happy being. I recall working in a shop over Christmas when I was 16, it was possibly the single, worst experience of my working life. Kids puking on the floor, stroppy customers shouting at me...I know how you feel.

I got into a fight at my local COOP with an old bag who started picking on the checkout girl because she couldn't tell her something immediately (the fact the old bint had what looked like a dead stoat around her neck didn't enhance my warm fuzzy feelings towards her...). It was great! And the shop girl thanked me.

Instead of national service, everyone should be forced to do at least 6 months shop work to give them an appreciation of the horrors it entails...it might improve the retail workers lot.

7:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Gotta agree with you Dan, shoppers are cunts! my many years in woolworths proved that to me.

In most cases, people are sad losers with too much time on thier hands, no social skills, and feel they have the right to complain about everything they can.

It got to me when i first started, but by the time i left, i didnt bother; if they were gonna be small and petty about trivial things, then let them. no skin off your nose!

4:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Motor-fucking-head! Farscape-The Best Thing Ever, wooo!!!!