Wednesday, December 24, 2008

FUCK EVERYTHING

So here it is, the review of the year, the time when I look back over the year and give you lists and comments on this year past. Well maybe I should have done this sooner, as my year has just been completely ruined, and possibly my life as well. So here we go, review of the year...

Top Films

1.Dark Knight-A masterpiece of epic, engaging, relevant cinema and film-making.
Wall-E-Possibly the best animated film ever, this has charm, humour and nuance, brilliant.
Juno-One of the best written, and best acted comedies of recent years.
2.There Will Be Blood-An epic masterpiece, headlined by a startling turn by Mr Day-lewis
3.Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford-tail end of 2007, so included here, magnificent.
4.Hellboy 2-Funnier than the first, with a great sense of fun and adventure.
5.No Country For Old Men-A modern western that isn't all that modern.
6.[REC]/Quarantine-Pretty much the same film, and both as scary as hell
7.Orphanage-A brilliant, mesmerising film, with a great twist
8.Hancock-Funniest thing will smith has done in years, and rntertaining as always
9.In Bruges-sweary, funny, brilliant
10.Charlie Wilsons War-sharp, funny and true. great performances.

Worthy Of Note

Iron Man
Shine A Light
Appollosa
Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
Gone Baby Gone
Wanted
Burn After Reading
Sweeney Todd
Cloverfield

Top Albums

1.Nicole Atkins-Neptune City
2.The Datsuns-Headstunts
3.The Offspring-Rise and fall, rage and grace
4.Steven Wilson-Insurgentes
5.AC/DC-Black Ice
6.Ginger-Market Harbour
7.Wildhearts-Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before Vol.1
8.Motorhead-Motorizer
9.Seasick Steve-Started Off With Nothin'...
10.Nick Cave-Dig Lazarus, Dig

HIGHS

'A' Reforming
Getting back into games and reading more
Miniatures battles, mucho fun

Lows

Most of the rest of the year...
Breaking my ankle
Not finding a new job
not getting anywhere further in life
my body creaking and groaning its way through the year
financial problems
...and finally, today. the company i work for going into administration meaning my job is very much at risk, which would destroy me financially, not to mention the fact it's kinda ruined Christmas for me.


So there it was, the review of the year. Not a great year, with a terrible end.

But regardless, merry Christmas to you all, have a wonderful time.

Dan
xxxx

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Doll said...

That's a bit freaky. Your top films mirror mine almost perfectly, though Juno was tops for me. Mind, I take issue with the liking of Iron Man. It was pure unmitegated crud and not worthy to lick Hellboy's boots.

My three tops: Juno, Hellboy, Batman
Special honours to Wall-E which was just lovely, lovely,lovely, though him indoors didn't really get it...

And I guess you work for Zavvi, huh? That sucks, really sucks. I like Zavvi and spend lotsa dosh there and I can't believe it's gone. Good luck finding a new job love.

GD xx

4:30 am  
Blogger Motormouth said...

Well I suppose it was timing as much as anything, Juno was at the very beginning of the year, and at the time it was my favourite thing ever(and I did like Ellen Page already, that helped) but towards the end of the year it was all about the Dark Knight, plus there was no way, watching it again, that Wall-E couldn't be up there...so a three way tie was how it ended. But if I had to choose one to watch again...I would probably choose Juno, hell I liked it so much I bought the screenplay and the soundtrack plus I got Rob to nab a poster of it from the cinema where he works.
As for Iron Man...the character was always a bit shallow, more about cool suits and big explosions, so I think that was the only direction they could take...and Robert Downey Jr is one of my favourite actors, he is just so watchable, and I thought it was a great vehicle for him, and very entertaining. Film of the year? No, but I enjoyed it a lot. Hellboy 2 was great, better than Iron Man, yes, and better than the first one. I am a big fan of Del Toro, and I like the use of humour in Hellboy 2, it can be serious, but it can also be very funny, and the creatures are amazing as usual. Not up to the Dark Knights standard, but very entertaining, and I hope they make it a trilogy, although with Del Toro commited to the Hobbit, I doubt it.
Yeah I work for Zavvi...for the moment. I am totally fucked financially without a job, so it's not great for me...and thats not my only problem, my body seems to slowly be failing me. For various reasons I am almost permenantly uncomfortable, apart from when i'm in a great deal of pain, and then there are all the usual problems, which have all resurfaced in the last few months....difficult. Very difficult.

Thanks for the comment and the wishing of luck, I really appreciate it.
xxxx

3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Motor-fucking-head! Farscape-The Best Thing Ever, wooo!!!!